Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Decor dilemma

Drew and I have been extremely blessed with generous wedding showers. So generous that we were gifted a FULL 12 place settings of our Wedgwood White china. Although Drew was excited, he just didn't understand my zeal for the pristine white plates and the dainty tea cups.
I. Am. Obsessed.

BUT, here is the issue. Our newlywed nest will be snug. Snug is the nice way to say that our 1 bedroom-1 bath apartment is small. This leaves my hubby-to-be and me with a decor dilemma. My obsessed self can't stand the thought of leaving this beautiful china packed away at our parents' homes. So, we're exploring inexpensive, newlywed budget-friendly options to display these lovelies.

1st option I found from IKEA. Super cute and fairly affordable. Any opinions? We were a little alarmed about the disclaimer listed on the website about the glass panels shattering with a "knock."

Then I came across this cabinet on Etsy. A little large, but absolutely beautiful...plus it has storage! Drawback: Drew doesn't want our home filled with "old stuff" and this falls in the "old stuff" category. I love the vintage, this-piece-has-a-story feel. Alas, one of many kinks you must weather in marriage.

We would appreciate any suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. In my personal, professional opinion, you two lovebirds should build something on your own. Then, it will have a story, seeing as how you built it together, while also not being old stuff. You are welcome.

    -Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, interesting idea CJ. Somehow I don't see Drew and I tackling a project that involves power tools of any sort on our tiny balcony. Maybe you could build us one?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff & I have had similar discussions...he doesn't like "grandma" or "old stuff" either! So, we decided to go with more traditional look like Pottery barn. We have found some great pieces there. If you go and look at the floor models, a lot of times they are discounted for great prices. Plus around holidays they usually have floor models for less PLUS a sale. So, fourth of July might be a good time to search at Pottery Barn. Try craigslist too! We found a beautiful Pottery Barn bed for an amazing deal!!

    ReplyDelete